8.10.2009

booze vs. baker's twine.

Every year at around this time, there's normally just one thing that occupies my mind -- The Virgo Bash.

My friend Jack and I started it some years ago when we realized that we, along with so many of our close friends, were virgos. In fact, each day in the entire last week of August and the first week of September is a birthday of someone we know. When I lived in Texas, the festivities were simple and usually consisted of an in-town celebration of bar hopping or concert-going. Eventually Jack and I both left Texas and brought our tradition with us. We had a bash in Florida, a couple in New York and one in San Francisco. It's always a good time, and I look forward to it every year.

This year is a big one, because not only is it Jackie's 30th birthday... It's also her golden birthday. The plan was to go to Jamaica, but with D-day falling right at the end of August, this year's bash was just going to have to happen without me. I have to say at first, I was really bummed about not being able to make it. Luckily, eight months and a big ripe belly was just enough to help me realize that I'm okay with it. I'm sure Jack can hold it down without me-- I've got someone else's birthday on the brain this year.

But just because birthday booze gets bumped, I think I'm still entitled to a wishlist of sorts, right? Considering last year's consisted of lots of Chanel and a chaise lounge for my hot pink closet, I think this year's list has my feet a little closer to the ground.
Just For You by Pablo Correa found via graphicexchange

Handmade Home via soulemama because nesting is now my new favorite pastime.
Letter press recipe cards by 1canoe2 because very soon I will have a small little family to make delicious meals for, and I will need a way to keep track of my favorite recipes.

Olivetti Typewriter from UO because for some reason, I actually think having a functional typewriter around would inspire me to write beautiful notes to send via snail mail to my dearest friends.

And a Gocco to take my crafting to a whole new level! I totally admit I wouldn't know what to do with the thing but stumbling across mintdesignblog makes me want to learn, wrap presents all pretty and make thank you cards all day.

And if I had to, I could probably show you some shoes I've been wanting or some of the Fall outfits I hope I'll fit into before the season's over. I haven't completely forgotten about Fashion, but swollen feet and an unpredictable waistline pretty much just puts it in the backseat for now.

7 comments:

  1. Another former Dallas girl here. I too have been reading your hubby's blog for a while now, and am really enjoying reading yours! I totally know what you're talking about with the Gocco. I stumbled across them when I was designing our wedding invites last year and am still convinced I need one to make...things?... with, and I would snuggle up to it every night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. check into something for leaking, i thought about getting something called lilly padz, leaky nipples, soaking wet shirts, really what a new mom needs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi sara! oh dallas *sigh*-- it's sort of depressing there now. not sure when it was that you lived there, but i miss my old deep ellum quite dearly.
    about the gocco, i just watched some video tutorials for it, and i'm even more determined to possess one. i will have to have another wedding so that i can have an excuse to purchase it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I moved outta Dallas 10 years ago? Then back, then away again 4 years ago. To clarify, I'm from way NORTH Dallas, so my Dallas experience has always been sort of depressing. :) Totally know what you mean though - uptown is creeping into freaking everywhere.
    I think a new Gocco is a perfectly reasonable and acceptable explanation for another wedding. Just think of all the sweet and perfectly printed amazingness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Baby Bee! I'm loving your book choices! Hope you get everything on your wish list. See you soon. Maintain, sweetie. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. when you get that recipe card press make sure you put the vegan lettuce wraps on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thx mom! love you.

    dobie, i need you in the kitchen with me. cooking is not as fun nor does it run as smoothly without you.

    ReplyDelete