8.12.2009

mothering the mother

I have to admit that at the beginning of this pregnancy, I didn't know a damn thing about what to do, where to go, who to see or what to prepare for.

The first doctor I went to see was absolutely terrible, so I did a little bit of research online and found a practice that wasn't bad, but it definitely wasn't the place that was going to help me have the experience I wanted. When I was just under 6 months along, Guav and I interviewed Julie to be our doula. We loved her instantly. She really listened to us and gave us recommendations for books, child birth classes, hospitals and a midwife that we've been very pleased with so far. A lot of the confidence I have right now is due to Julie's guidance through the process. I don't think I would be in one piece without her. And now, with Brixton's birthday being so close, I wanted to make sure I had a present to thank her for everything she's done and for the contributions I know she'll put forth on our big day.

So today I wrapped up the necklace I made for her. I hope she loves it. I also put together a little present for my sister which will go in the mail tomorrow.

9 comments:

  1. What a thoughtful gift! She is going to love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, that is super cute! (Stalker from your hubs LJ, I have two journals :P)

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a great gift! Good to hear that you have found some very supportive people to help you with the beginning of this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So thoughtful and attractively put together! She's sure to love it. And of course I too am grateful to her for all the help and guidance she's given to you and Guav. I'm sure the birth will be a blessed event, and as you had planned and hoped for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. is julie in nyc or nj? i'll be wanting a doula too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. thx! i'm glad you guys like it! :)

    @ jill, hey pretty! julie lives in jersey, but its quite likely she takes clients in nyc. that would be awesome if you used her. when you get preggers, you should definitely check her out! i could give you her contact info, but a simple google search for "julie rosen doula" will render you her background and contact info.

    i have a couple of friends who are mothers who have voiced that having a doula seems like a waste of money. i couldn't disagree more. we haven't even had the baby yet, and julie has already been worth every penny!

    ReplyDelete
  7. omigosh!! omigosh!!! i just saw the fotos of baby BRIXTON!!!!! schooo kute!!! plus he's a leo. so am i. so am i!! ahaHAHAHA!! we kick ass leos. kongratulations mummy Bea!!!! *huuuugggss!!*

    tsutsumi gift wrapping ne? most folks over-do it. but you've got mad skills poppet. its just right ;-)

    ReplyDelete